Wednesday 15 April 2009

What to read?

So what have I piled up to read over the next few weeks?
First and foremost must be the Bible: reading the NT in Greek really slows me down and helps me to see things I'd otherwise miss. In the OT, it'll be Genesis 12-50. I really haven't got to grips with how to preach those long narratives...
Second, I want to read the pastoral advice in Andrew Cornes' book, 'Divorce & Remarriage'. This is always going to be a pastorally important issue in the church, and I want to handle it as sensitively and biblically as possible.
Third, while I don't imagine for one second that reading a book on prayer will instantly turn me into a great prayer warrior, I want to finish Packer & Nystrom's book, 'Prayer'.
Talking of Packer, it's several years since I read 'Knowing God'. I remember so clearly when and where I read it for the first time (the back garden of 112 Stephen's Road!), and I remember how it warmed my heart and stimulated my brain - if that happens again, I'll surely be all the more godly for it.
I'll post the gems here over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message...