Wednesday 7 March 2012

When the going gets tough...

The opening words of James' letter (after the greeting) are a real challenge:
Count it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you meet trials of various kinds... (James 1:2)
So in my quiet time thi morning, I've read two verses and am brought up short. I love a good moan - after all I'm "a grumpy old man"- but this tells me that there should be no such thing as a grumpy old Christian man (or woman!).
But I need a good reason to count trials as joy, and the reason James gives is:
...for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:3-4)
That sounds  like a pretty good reason to face trials with joy! And let's face it, when we look back, we can see how trials have indeed increased our godliness and completeness (i.e. how it has honed our skills and gifts, our wisdom and maturity).

The question is, will I use that knowledge and experience to face present trials with joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message...