Wednesday 6 October 2010

Too generous?

In my journey through the Bible in a year, I read this today:
[Bezalel and Oholiab] received from Moses all the contributions that the people people of Israel had brought for doing the work on the sanctuary. They still kept bringing him freewill offerings every morning so that all the craftsmen who were doing every sort of task on the sanctuary came, each from the task that he was doing, and said to Moses, 'The people bring musch more than enough for doing the work that the LORD has commanded us to do.' ... So the people were restrained from bringing, for the material they had was sufficient to do all the work, and more. (See Exodus 36:2-7 ).
 And I was reminded of Paul's thanks to the Philippians (4:18f):
I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. 
And as I read I wondered... what if gospel work was funded to this extent? How much more could be accomplished if churches didn't have to spend so much time discussing money, planning fundraising events (how I hate these!), writing begging letters to congregations, doing finance presentations etc. Wouldn't it be great to say to the congregation, 'Stop giving - we have more than enough!'?

And yet, perhaps if we were fully funded we would start to spend money on trivial things - flashy sound & light systems, idolatrous adornment of buildings, etc. How much would actually find its way to proclaiming the gospel? How much would be used to show love to the poor?

We're only human, and I guess we'd stop relying on God and start to build our own little kingdoms.

Nevertheless...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message...