Tuesday 28 December 2010

Kindle gets me reading

I love my new Kindle e-reader!
Not only is it a great gadget, but it's got me reading more. It's no larger than a very small paperback, but on it I now have the whole of the ESV Bible, John Piper's 'When I don't Desire God: How to fight for Joy', Eric Metaxas' new biography of Bonhoeffer, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, a theological journal, two volumes of Jonathan Edwards (thousands of pages!), and samples of 5 other books. It also comes with the Oxford Dictionary of English and an Amercian dictionary.
And all of this for less than £25 - bought from the Kindle or a computer, and delivered directly to the Kindle within a few seconds. (Yes, I know the Kindle itself cost money, but it was a present, and it was a tiny fraction of the price of a tablet PC).
So now I'm carrying all of this with me everywhere and whenever I've got a few minutes to spare, I can read a few pages of whichever of these books takes my fancy. I can take notes and highlight text which is then collated into one place, so I can easily access all my favourite quotes.
But that's not all. I can also check emails, check the footballor cricket scores (via a web browser - it's not fast, but it does the job) and listen to music while I read. I can also transfer documents and .pdf files to read at my leisure. This is great because there are loads of good articles available online in pdf format which are hard to read on a computer screen but which are incredibly easy on the Kindle.
Finally, Sarah also bought me a wonderful protective cover which includes a light so i can read at night without disturbing her!
Wonderful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message...