Saturday 12 March 2011

Rationalism vs emotionalism

As we begin a sermon series on the passion narrative in Luke, I'm trying to work out what is the right balance between, at one extreme, a cold rational explanation of the cross and its implications for radical discipleship and at the other extreme a full-on appeal to the emotions, using emotive language and a fervent style.
I want to remember what Paul said about not distorting the word of truth, but setting forth the word of truth plainly (2 Cor 4:2), so I don't want to engage in any emotional blackmail.  On the other hand, how can you preach about the death of Christ and all the consequences thereof without becoming impassioned?
What pushes me towards emotionalism is the frustration with people who come to church week after week after week and yet never get involved in gospel ministry; people who never invite people to events, never come to prayer meetings or Bible studies, don't help out in even the smallest of ways and don't even stay for coffee after the services to build relationships with their brothers & sisters in Christ. I am so desperate for them to experience the transforming love of Christ. How can you say you know Christ, love Christ and yet just not get involved?! Can't they see how much Christ has done for them?
And yet, when I was a teenager at a charismatic church, so many people made what have proven to be shallow emotional responses to Christ. Responses need to be thought through and rational - commitments of the will at the deepest level.
And so I realise even as I write that neither a rationalistic nor a simplistic emotional response is what's needed. What people need is a Spirit-enabled and inspired response. The Spirit must speak to the mind and to the heart, and shape the will, if there is to be a proper response to Christ.
So how will I preach? Well, I guess it will be with my whole mind and my whole heart and my whole strength. Neither the mind nor the heart only, but both completely, and in complete dependence on the Holy Spirit during my prep and preaching.
It's such a great responsibility, and puts you in the front line of spiritual warfare. That's why prep is so difficult and preaching so exhausting and draining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message...